Are you missing a tooth? You’re in good company. Although most adult teeth last, about 120 million Americans are missing at least one tooth according to the American College of Prosthodontics.
From poor dental care or hygiene to injury, many things can lead to a missing tooth. While most people are more concerned with the cosmetic impact, a missing tooth can increase your risk of developing serious conditions.
If you’re missing a tooth, it’s important to schedule a dental check-up right away. At Innovative Dental Ideas in Hilliard, Ohio, James Butler, DMD, and our caring team are committed to helping patients repair their smiles and maintain good oral health.
That’s why we’ve put together this helpful guide. Read on to learn why you should never ignore a missing tooth.
What problems are associated with a missing tooth?
When we lose a tooth, the first thing we usually think about is the way it looks. While it’s true that a beautiful smile improves your self-confidence and can make a difference in how you feel, there are serious health-related concerns to consider.
Problems associated with missing teeth include:
- A compromised bite, which can impact the way you talk and eat.
- Painful jaw strain due to jaw misalignment.
- Shifting among the remaining teeth.
- Bone loss, which can lead to additional tooth loss.
- Changes to your facial appearance since your teeth support the shape and structure of your face.
- Compromised dental hygiene due to gaps which trap food.
- Increased risk of oral infection and gum disease, which lead to serious health problems including heart disease.
Are there solutions for missing teeth?
To avoid serious complications, it’s important to seek dental care for a missing tooth. At Innovative Dental Ideas, we offer several options for when a tooth falls out. Dr. Butler will discuss them with you in detail and help you find the best solution for your unique situation. Possible solutions include:
- Dentures: Removable oral appliances designed to replace multiple teeth or your entire smile. Today’s modern dentures are comfortable and look like your natural teeth.
- Dental implants: Permanent metal posts implanted into the jaw bone. Implants can attach to prosthetics or crowns to replace one tooth or they may be attached to bridges or dentures.
Where can I find help?
Since 2006, our practice has been committed to improving the oral health and overall wellbeing of our patients. If you're missing a tooth and live in the Hilliard, Ohio area, schedule a consultation at Innovative Dental Ideas to discuss your best options.
Don’t wait! The best options are available with early care. To make an appointment, contact our office today.